Nearly 12000 exmilitiamen in DR of Congo disarmed UN peacekeeping official says

admin fcudlvdvuakr , , , , ,

The more than 11,500 combatants who entered the disarmament and re-integration programme included 3,600 children, François Dureau, chief of the Situation Centre in the UN Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO) told journalists at UN Headquarters in New York.In a major achievement of the past two months, the UN Organization Mission in the DRC (MONUC) had been able to go into previously inaccessible areas and build roads and distribute medicines to the population, he said. It had also supported Government units operating in key areas of Ituri and the Kivus, he added.In the first integration phase, ex-militia members who had been trained and equipped by South Africa and Belgium were now supporting MONUC activities, Mr. Dureau said.On the political side, DPKO official Margaret Carey said the transitional constitution dictated that elections should have been held two years after the inauguration of the Transitional Government, which would have been by June 2005. But the new constitution and new electoral law had not yet been approved and the technical preparations had been delayed.She reminded the journalists that the DRC had 24 million people scattered over a country the size of Western Europe, but “without roads.” Voter education was proceeding, nonetheless, and voter registration would begin in June, she added.Meanwhile, it was her understanding that the Transitional Government would soon make public its position on the electoral time-table and the possible extension of the transitional process.The biggest threats to security were the uncontrolled armed groups in Ituri and the Kivus, but about 7,000 foreign fighters and some 4,000 of their family members had voluntarily returned home, Ms. Carey said.Once an effective reintegration programme was put in place, with wages and means of sustenance available to the ex-combatants, more people would enter the disarmament and reintegration programme, she said.

You May Also Like..

BC officials face challenges in bringing people home after fire evacuations

first_imgKAMLOOPS, B.C. – A British Columbia official says getting people to safety as fast-moving wildfires approached was only half the battle — the other half will be returning them home.Al Richmond, chairman of the Cariboo Regional District in B.C.’s central Interior, says the district has hit logistical snags as it prepares to allow the re-entry of residents of 100 Mile House and the surrounding area.“We’re beginning to look at how we can bring you folks home,” he told a public meeting of evacuees gathered in Kamloops on Monday night.“Now, I don’t want you to believe that means you’re coming home tomorrow or at the end of the week. There are many things that have to be done.”More than 40,000 people remain out of their homes as nearly 160 wildfires burn across the province. Residents of Cache Creek, with a population of about 1,000, will be allowed to return home today, while officials look at readying the 100 Mile House area for re-occupancy.But Richmond said it’s no easy task. For example, in 108 Mile House, 105 Mile House and 103 Mile House, the power was off for four or five days. The Canadian Red Cross has said all the spoiled food is hazardous material, he said.“So those fridges and freezes you have in your house are probably going to go, and we’re going to get information about how to dispose of those,” he said.“If you look at (108 Mile House) alone, 1,160 homes, times how many freezers, times how many fridges. Those are some of the logistics of taking you home.”Grocery stores and restaurants will also need to clean out and sanitize their shelves, refrigerators and freezers, and order more food, he added.The district issued a statement that said a comprehensive assessment will be conducted to ensure the integrity of all infrastructure and utilities, such as water, sewer, roads, hydro, natural gas and emergency telephone services.Priority services will also be established, including but emergency healthcare services, waste management services and security, it said.Cache Creek residents will be allowed to go home at 3 p.m. today after being evacuated 10 days ago. Officials with the Thompson-Nicola Regional District said that while the 520-square-kilometre Ashcroft fire continues to grow and burn out of control, the imminent threat to Cache Creek has diminished.But the village will remain on evacuation alert, meaning people must be prepared to leave again at a moment’s notice.A wind-fuelled flare-up of a fire near Williams Lake Saturday forced the evacuation of that city, but Richmond said crews had managed to keep the flames in check about seven kilometres northwest of the community.He said the reason it was evacuated was because the fire breached the road to the north and one exit point was lost.“That’s why it was evacuated. Not because the flames were marching over the hill because some people like to believe, but because in order to get you out safely, calmly, you needed to leave then.”More than 1,880 square kilometres of the province have been burned by wildfires this year, exceeding the entire 2016 fire season.— By Laura Kane in Vancouverlast_img

Lack of formal apology casts shadow over Jallianwala Bagh event in UK

first_imgLondon: The failure of the UK government to tender a formal apology on the centenary of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre was the overwhelming focus of a commemorative event held at the House of Lords complex in London on Saturday. The massacre took place at Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar during the Baisakhi festival on April 13, 1919, when troops of the British Indian Army under the command of Colonel Reginald Dyer opened fire at a crowd of people holding a pro-independence demonstration, leaving scores dead. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince ‘snubbed’ Pak PM, recalled jet from USIndian-origin peers Lord Raj Loomba and Lord Meghnad Desai were joined by fellow members of the Jallianwala Bagh Centenary Commemoration Committee (JBCCC) to wrap up a series of events and exhibitions held in the UK to mark the 100th anniversary of the British colonial era massacre. “The Jallianwala Bagh massacre of April 13, 1919, stands out as a very tragic event in history. Hundred years since then, India has come a long way and this why we have heard various mutterings of regret because ultimately India is now a power to reckon with,” said Lord Desai. Also Read – Record number of 35 candidates in fray for SL Presidential polls”I do not understand why the British government has not to this day agreed to say sorry,” said Lord Loomba, who also called for an investigation into whether Colonel Dyer instigated the “huge atrocity” of his own accord or was following orders from higher authorities during the British Raj. The commemorative event included a screening of a short clip from Richard Attenborough’s 1982 epic ‘Gandhi’, re-enacting the fateful day. Unofficial estimates put the death toll into thousands, with the incident being described as a turning point in the Indian national movement. “The pain remains etched in the memory of Punjabi people. An apology will not bring back the dead or give any real comfort to their family and friends. However, it will help to mitigate the pain and bring closure to us all,” said Manjit Singh GK, Patron-in-Chief of the JBCCC. “An apology cannot undo what has been done but it would be a befitting tribute to the martyrs of the Jallianwala Bagh massacre. We on behalf of the JBCCC, strongly demand that the British government tender an official apology,” said Vikramjit Singh Sahney, Patron of JBCC. “Pain and hurt do not have prescribed end dates. It is time to recognise that and for the British government to ask for forgiveness with an unreserved apology,” added JBCC chair Balbir Singh Kakar. Earlier this week, British Prime Minister Theresa May had expressed deep regret over the tragedy in a statement in the House of Commons to mark the 100th anniversary of the tragedy, which she described as a “shameful scar” on British Indian history. However, the government has been criticised for not going far enough to make a formal apology, with the Opposition Labour Party demanding a “full, clear and unequivocal apology”. “The Jallianwala Bagh massacre shook the very soul of a nation. It will be a long while before it fades away. History will keep reminding successive future generations about it,” Indian High Commissioner to the UK Ruchi Ghanashyam said in her address at the event. Indian-origin peer, Lord Jitesh Gadhia, stressed the importance of the tragedy forming part of a compulsory “warts and all” colonial history curriculum to be taught across all British schools. The programme in the House of Lords complex marked a culmination of events being held across the UK to mark the centenary of the massacre. The events included an exhibition titled ‘Jallianwala Bagh 1919: Punjab under Siege’ at Manchester Museum in partnership with Amritsar’s Partition Museum, and a number of book launches on the subject historian Kim Wagner’s Jallianwala Bagh’, Saurav Dutt’s Garden of Bullets’ and journalist Anita Anand’s The Patient Assassin’ tracing the lead up to the massacre as well as its aftermath. British Indian journalist Sathnam Sanghera also added to the widespread calls for an apology as part of a critically-acclaimed documentary, The Massacre that Shook the Empire’, aired in the UK on Saturday night. The issue also found prominence in the UK parliamentary agenda in recent months, as both the House of Lords and Commons held debates in the lead up to the anniversary.last_img

Video German Football Player Converts to Islam

Rabat – German football player Danny Blum has announced his conversion to Islam.The player described Islam as a religion of hope and strength.“Islam gave me strength. Pray calms my soul,” the 24-year-old said. “I was short tempered, erratic and did not know where I belong,” he added.Blum joined his team FC Nurnberg last year. The team plays in the German Bundesliga’s Second Division.“I have visited a mosque and I immediately risen the heart. I felt this is something for me and wanted to know more,” he told German newspaper Bild.Blum said that his parents were scared at first when he told them about his conversion to Islam.“They are devout Christians. But soon they said that I have to go that route if I believe that it is right,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *