Annan offers UN help following deadly earthquake in Mexico

admin kwstxiplqlko , , , , ,

“The United Nations recognizes the prompt response of Mexican authorities to the needs created by the earthquake and stands ready to assist them, should they request support in these endeavours,” said a statement released by a UN spokesman in New York.The earthquake, with a magnitude of 7.8 on the Richter scale, hit western Mexico just after 8 p.m. local time Tuesday. The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said preliminary information indicated that at least 17 people were killed and more than 100 injured in Colima, about 500 kilometres west of Mexico City.OCHA added that there are no reports that major buildings were destroyed but the electrical supply and telecommunications were disrupted. The Office is in contact with the UN Resident Coordinator in Mexico and so far, the Mexican Government has not asked for international assistance.“The Secretary-General is deeply saddened by the loss of life, injuries and destruction that have resulted from the disaster,” the statement said. “He wishes to convey his condolences to the people and Government of Mexico and his heartfelt sympathy to all who have suffered as a result of the disaster.”

You May Also Like..

Supervisors conviction prison term upheld in deadly scaffolding collapse

first_imgTORONTO – A supervisor jailed for a scaffolding collapse in which four men were killed and another was seriously hurt lost his bid on Tuesday to challenge his criminal-negligence conviction and 3 1/2-year sentence.In dismissing his appeal, Ontario’s top court agreed with the trial judge that Vadim Kazenelson had failed to take reasonable steps to prevent what was one of the province’s worst workplace accidents. The appeal, the court found, was largely based on arguments made at trial.“The trial judge’s reasons for conviction and sentence are clear and the chain of reasoning is rooted firmly in his findings of fact,” the Court of Appeal concluded. “He made no legal or other errors.”The case arose on Christmas Eve 2009 after five of six men working for Metron Construction fell about 13 storeys when the swing stage they were on collapsed without warning. Four were killed and one was badly hurt. The sixth worker, who was tethered as required under provincial law and by industry practice, was left dangling in mid-air but was not injured.Kazenelson, Metron’s project manager, was with the workers on the scaffolding when it collapsed. However, he had been holding onto one of only two available safety lifelines and was able to grab a nearby balcony and pull himself to safety, court records show.Evidence was that the supervisor had always strictly enforced the tethering — except on the day of the collapse, when he was running out of time to see the work completed.Superior Court Justice Ian MacDonnell convicted Kazenelson in June 2015 of four counts of criminal negligence causing death and one of causing bodily harm. It was one of the first cases involving a criminal negligence conviction for a workplace accident under 2004 changes to the Criminal Code that require supervisors to take reasonable steps to prevent bodily harm to subordinates.In convicting him, MacDonnell found that Kazenelson knew only two tethers were available on the swing stage for the six workers but failed to rectify the situation.“(Kazenelson) was aware that they were working (30 metres) or more above the ground without lifelines,” the Appeal Court quoted MacDonnell as saying. “He not only did nothing, he permitted all six workers to board the stage together with their tools, and he did so in circumstances where he had no information with respect to the capacity of the stage to safely bear the weight.”On appeal, Kazenelson argued his behaviour did not show a “wanton and reckless disregard” for the workers that would amount to criminal negligence, and MacDonnell’s verdict was therefore unreasonable.The Appeal Court disagreed, saying the question was whether Kazenelson’s conduct constituted a “marked and substantial departure” from what a reasonable supervisor would have done in the circumstances — which should have included considering what would happen if the stage collapsed.“The trial judge fully and adequately addressed the factual issues in the case and the conclusion to which their resolution led him,” the Appeal Court ruled.In appealing the 3 1/2-year sentence on each count to be served concurrently, Kazenelson argued among other things that MacDonnell had ignored the role the workers played in the tragedy.The Appeal Court disagreed, noting prison time was necessary to denounce Kazenelson’s conduct and to deter others in authority from failing to address potentially dangerous workplace situations.“The desire to complete the work that day led the appellant to compromise his duties,” Justice Peter Lauwers wrote for the panel. “The trial judge wrestled anxiously and carefully with the issue of the appellant’s moral blameworthiness and its effect on the sentence (but) I see no error in principle and no merit in the argument that the sentence is unfit.”last_img

Man arrested for flinging money from 4th floor of shopping centre

first_img Source: Serge The Car HaulerHowever, security at the mall arrested the 29-year-old for disorderly conduct. He was released after being given a citation.Gawker reports that each of the dollar bills was printed with a link to to Vorobyov’s YouTube account, where he posted an explanation for this generous giveaway: Source: Serge The Car HaulerWatch an eagle steal a camera, make its own film>WATCH: Shoppers brawl over flat-screen TVs in Walmart>40 years of Folens Christmas annuals, in pictures> A MAN HAS been arrested after he threw $1000 in cash at shoppers in a shopping centre in Minnesota.Serge Vorobyov threw one thousand dollar bills from the fourth floor of the Mall of America onto Black Friday shoppers beneath.According to CBS Minnesota Vorobyov said he’d had a rough year (divorce, and she took the cat) and just wanted to help some people out.last_img

No Delay On Boat Registration Law Despite Request From United Fishermen Of

first_imgUnited Fishermen of Alaska requested the delay in the implementation so state agencies are prepared and adequate public notice and education is given before the law goes into effect. The bill seeks to require titles for boats in order to help the state track vessel ownership to determine liability. Smaller vessels would be required to have a title issued by the DMV and kept in the state’s database. Senate Bill 92: “An Act relating to abandoned and derelict vessels; relating to the registration of vessels; relating to certificates of title for vessels; relating to the duties of the Department of Administration; relating to the duties of the Department of Natural Resources; establishing the derelict vessel prevention program; establishing the derelict vessel prevention program fund” Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Changes to Alaska boat ownership and registration laws initiated by SB 92, the Derelict Vessels Act, took effect on January 1. Beginning this year, all vessels longer than 24 feet (7.32 meters) are required to be registered with the state Department of Motor Vehicles.center_img A United Fishermen of Alaska official says very few fishermen are aware of the regulation and stand to be prosecuted for non–compliance. A request was denied by the state to delay the implementation of a new boat registration law. The bill was introduced by Senator Peter Micciche (R-K-Pen) in order to reduce the number of abandoned boats that occupy the waterways in Alaska. Micciche: “The intent of this bill is so that you understand the ownership of the vessel and you can start dealing with it years before what we’ve been doing now. Long before it ends up on the bottom.”last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *