6 Bangladeshi girls repatriated

admin xzatoksixeja , , , , , , ,

first_imgSix victims of human trafficking who spent up to five years in a Chennai shelter home have gone back home in Bangladesh.The Meghalaya-based Impulse NGO Network helped repatriate the six girls under a government-to-government partnership model it had designed a few years ago.“A team from Madras Christian Council of Social Service, which runs a home under the Ministry of Women and Child Development’s Swadhar Greh scheme, was among the multiple agencies involved in repatriating the six girls on July 16,” Hasina Kharbhih, Impulse’s chairperson, told The Hindu.The girls were repatriated from Phulbari on the international border near Siliguri in West Bengal under the standard operating procedure between India and Bangladesh.Members of their families received them along with activists of the Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee (BRAC), an NGO associated with Impulse.Coordinated effort“This was an exercise where the Home and External Affairs Ministries and the border force of both countries were involved, besides a number of NGOs working to end human trafficking,” Ms. Kharbhih said.Two such organisations – Ebong Aamra and Nari Shakti – function in northern West Bengal.Ms. Kharbhih said she came to know about the six trafficked Bangladeshi survivors in 2018 after Impulse’s programme manager Emarine Kharbhih met members of the Madras Christian Council of Social Service at a conference in Hyderabad.The six, she learnt, were at the Council’s home in Chennai for periods ranging from one to five years.Impulse coordinated with BRAC for ensuring that the victims could be integrated back with their communities in Bangladesh.BRAC has also designed a counselling, rehabilitation and reintegration programme for them in Bangladesh.last_img

You May Also Like..

Camacho’s ordeal in Wolfsburg has already lasted 18 months

first_imgTwo ankle injuriesAfter being a fixture at the start of the 2017-2018 campaign, He suffered a first ankle injury that put him under the knife and left him out of the team for five months. A first setback that joined the second when he broke muscle after returning. A bump that Camacho overcame for the start of the 2018-2019 campaign, But then came another serious ankle injury. At the end of September 2018 before the Borussia Mönchengladbach it was their last meeting. Since then, 18 months of ordeal for the Spanish footballer. Canterano of Zaragoza left his hometown to go to the Juvenil rojiblanco. Generation partner De Gea, Illarramendi or Azpilicueta he even debuted with Spain in 2014 by Del Bosque. A good future was in store for him. With more than 200 games played in the Spanish LaLiga, in 2017 he made an ambitious leap to the Bundesliga, after some season somewhat stagnant in Malaga and leaving behind other closer offers in Spain. He Wolfsburg paid to get their services 15 million euros, in a serious bet of the whole of the Volkswagen. He came to Germany to replace Luiz Gustavo, transferred to Marseille. Ignacio Camacho He was predestined to be one of the important midfielders in Spanish soccer during the last decade, since he was proclaimed champion U21 with Spain in 2013. He was already a fixture in Málaga’s starting eleven, after debuting in First division in the ranks of the Athletic. He was even on the fateful night of Malaga in Dortmund, in the Champions League quarterfinals.center_img With a contract until 2021, the Spanish footballer, at 30 years old, already sees the light at the end of the tunnel although he does not seem to be playing before the next campaign. “We no longer have Ignacio planned for this season”, the Wolfsburg coach said Oliver Glasner, in statements collected by the newspaper Bild. “We hope you can join again in the preseason“the Austrian coach concluded. The truth is that Camacho has been gradually forgetting the bad moments that his joints have given him and his intention is to do some field work in the coming weeks, when the coronavirus situation allows you to do so. Surely Camacho still has many good things to contribute at Wolfsburg.last_img

Ballistics tests contradict stories of cop, suspect – Police

first_imgStabroek Market shootingAs Police continue to probe the ‘accidental’ shooting of a 54-year-old woman last week when she was caught in the cross-fire between a law enforcement official and an alleged bandit at the Stabroek Market area, the Guyana Police Force on Monday said that ballistics results contradict the stories of both the Constable and the suspect.Police had initially claimed that Jean Rodrigues, a mother of eight of Lot 35 Crane, West Coast Demerara, was hit by a bullet discharged by a bandit.Jean Rodrigues was shot in the back during a Police chaseHowever, the Police statement said following the tests, the stories of both the Policeman and the suspect were challenged.“… the Constable has been removed from that type of duty, to another area as the investigation continues,” the Force added.According to the statement, the case file will be completed in a few days and sent for legal advice.Meanwhile, a source close to the investigation told Guyana Times that the ballistics revealed gunpowder residue on the hands of the Policeman and the suspect.According to the source, with this recent development, the teen suspect, who was released after being held for the mandatory 72 hours, was likely to be rearrested.Reports are that around 16:00h on September 20, 2016 while in the vicinity of the Stabroek Market, Georgetown, Rodrigues was shot during a shootout between a Policeman and a fleeing bandit.The alleged bandit later turned out to be a teenage footballer identified as Kelsey Benjamin.He was turned over to Police at the Brickdam Police Station by his mother. After being held, the young man was released without charge.At the time of the shooting, Rodrigues, her husband, three of their three children and a grandchild were waiting for a bus to travel to Grove, East Bank Demerara to attend a relative’s wake.last_img

Gouveia calls decision knee-jerk reaction

first_imgGCAA shuttling operations banBy Samuel SukhnandanThe Guyana Civil Aviation Authority’s (GCAA’s) decision to suspend all shuttling operations to the interior has been described as an unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.Commenting on the decision, Captain Gerald “Gerry” Gouveia, Managing Director of Roraima Airways, told Guyana Times on Thursday that he sees no basis for the suspension, nor was there any real analysis done.“I believe it was unnecessary. What this is doing is not hurting the operators, but the people in the hinterland; because these operations brought down the cost of living in the hinterland in Guyana tremendously,” he explained.Gouveia said shuttling, which is basically short flights to transport goods and fuel between interior airstrips, does not cause accidents. He said, “Pilots should obey and observe the same rules of flying, same technical operations of the plane, and same respect for safety altitudes.”Managing Director of Roraima Airways, Captain Gerry GouveiaDirector General of GCAA, Egbert FieldHe opined that instead of suspending the operations, there needs to be increased operational control and oversight, monitoring of pilots’ duty times, and establishment of a proper search-and-rescue system. In addition to the foregoing, he said, runways in the interior region should be improved, and there needs to be more training given in regard to air safety requirements.The businessman argued that the suspension should not have been triggered by the three recent planes crashes; GCAA needs to get to the root of the issue.In fact, a pilot attached to Roraima Airways had perished in one of those recent plane crashes, but Gouveia claims that each of the three crashes has its own peculiarities, and there is no correlation; a fact he said would be determined by at the GCAA the end of its process of investigations.Although concerns have emanated from certain sections of society regarding shuttle planes being overloaded during operations — which may have caused the recent incidents, Gouveia has said he doubts that is the case, because, based on the information he got, all three of the crashed planes were empty.Asked whether he thinks there are enough stringent measures in place to prevent accidents, he told this newspaper that the local aviation sector is right now safer than it ever was before.“Guyana has the most advanced and biggest domestic (aviation) sector in the Caribbean. Because of the size of our country, the operators and the private sector have responded not only to bring in more planes, but to bring relief to the people of the hinterland,” he pointed out.The GCAA on Wednesday ordered that all domestic shuttle operations be suspended until operators can provide Standard Operational Manuals and other documents showing how they conduct their business. These documents would have to be reviewed and approved by the GCAA before operations can be resumed.This move comes in light of the three recent crashes in the local aviation sector that resulted in the deaths of two pilots. All of the planes crashed while on shuttle operations. The GCAA met with domestic operators, but the decision to suspend shuttling did not go down “too good” with the operators.Director General of GCAA, Egbert Field, noted that the decision is necessary, since shuttle operations have expanded over the years, and this is the first time it is going to be fully regularised. The GCAA boss acknowledged the impact the decision would have on the mining industry as well as on some Indigenous communities.No specific period has been given for the ban to be lifted, but Fields has said he is hopeful the operators would submit their documents in a timely fashion. He added that some indicated that they were in the process of compiling those documents, and would be submitting them soon.This newspaper was told by a senior aviator that a meeting was held on Thursday evening with pilots from across the country, to put things in order to lift the suspension.That apart, a high level team from the Eugene F. Correia International Airport met with GCAA officials on Thursday to come to an amicable solution in regard to getting to the root causes of the recent accidents and to strengthen the safety system at the airport and with its operators.last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *