First draft of Assam’s NRC recognises 1.9 crore people as citizens

admin fofabvlic , , , , , , ,

first_imgNearly 32 years after the Assam Accord was signed, the first draft of an updated National Register of Citizens (NRC) for the State listed 1.90 crore names out of the 3.29 crore applicants. The updated NRC was published at midnight on December 31.Assam is the only State in the country that prepared an NRC in 1951 following the census of that year and has become the first State to get the first draft of its own updated NRC. The NRC, 1951, is updated in Assam with the names of applicants whose names appear in NRC, 1951, or any electoral rolls of the State up to midnight of March 24, 1971, and their descendants and all Indian citizens, including their children and descendants who have moved to Assam post March 24, 1971.Announcing the publication of the first draft of the updated NRC at a press conference, Registrar-General of India Sailesh told journalists that verification of the remaining applicants was under way and the subsequent draft would be published after the names were verified.State NRC Coordinator Pratik Hajela allayed the fears of those whose names did not appear in the first draft, saying the verification was a tedious process and there was a possibility that some names within a single family might not be included in the first draft. He appealed to all people not to panic as the verification process was still on.The time frame for the publication of the NRC draft was set by the Supreme Court, which has been monitoring the entire process. The court had turned down a plea by the Centre last month for an extension of the time frame till July 31, 2018, and directed that the first draft be published at midnight of December 31.Mr. Sailesh said the time frame for publication of the second draft would be decided in accordance with the Supreme Court, adding that the entire process would be completed in 2018.PTI adds… NRC State Coordinator Prateek Hajela said those people whose names have been excluded in the first list need not worry.“It is a tedious process to verify the names. So there is a possibility that some names within a single family may not be there in the first draft,” said Mr. Hajela.“There is no need to panic as rest of the documents are under verification,” he said.Asked about the possible timeframe for the next draft, the RGI said it will be decided as per the guidelines of the Supreme Court — under whose monitoring the document is being prepared — in its next hearing in April.The entire process will be completed within 2018, Mr. Sailesh said.The application process started in May, 2015 and a total of 6.5 crore documents were received from 68.27 lakh families across Assam.“The process of accepting complaints will start once the final draft is published as rest of the names are likely to appear in that,” Mr. Hajela said.People can check their names in the first draft at NRC sewa kendras across Assam from 8 am on January 1. They can also check for information online and through SMS services.The RGI informed that the ground work for this mammoth exercise began in December 2013 and 40 hearings have taken place in the Supreme Court over the last three years.Assam, which faced influx from Bangladesh since the early 20th century, is the only State having an NRC, first prepared in 1951.The Supreme Court, which is monitoring the entire process, had ordered that the first draft of the NRC be published by December 31 after completing the scrutiny of over two crore claims along with that of around 38 lakh people whose documents were suspect.last_img

You May Also Like..

Better Hope child dies after reportedly ingesting rat poison

first_img– relatives claim parents left areaA child from Better Hope, East Coast Demerara has reportedly died after ingesting a poisonous substance used to kill rats.While details surrounding the incident — which occurred late last week — remain sketchy, relatives were on Sunday tight-lipped on the circumstances relating to the reported poisoning, telling Guyana Times that the parents of the child have supposedly left the area.The Better Hope, East Coast Demerara home where the child livedAccording to information received, the parents have several children who live in less-than-desirable conditions. This newspaper was told that the child who died had been playing in the area and had come in contact with the substance and ingested it.Some persons familiar with the matter have claimed that the parents are trying to cover up the incident.Efforts to contact Acting Commander of ‘C’ Division, Edmond Cooper, on Sunday were futile. However, Acting Police Public Relations Officer (PRO) Shivpersaud Bacchus has said he would enquire into the matter with ‘C’ Division. It is not clear if the matter is being duly investigated.last_img

FANCY BEING PART OF RTE’S EXCITING NEW SPORTS QUIZ SHOW?

first_imgCalling all sports teams, supporters and clubs around Donegal – RTE needs your help!A brand new television sports quiz called ‘Put ‘Em Under Pressure’ is due to hit our screens in September on RTE 1.The show sees two teas of famous sports stars and pundits go head-to-head similar to the BBC’s A Question of Sport. The series will consist of eight episodes and will be filmed in front of a live studio audience between the 8th to the 11th of August.Now RTE want all clubs and sporting groups in Donegal to apply to be part of that television audienceAll clubs and groups of supporters will be encouraged to wear their own team colours or sporting attire for what wil be a great day out.Places are limited so people are asked to contact Sharon Newman at Sharon.newman@shinawil.com or on 01 2084646 or Myles Sweeney at the Donegal Sports Partnership at myles@activedonegal.com or on 074 91 16079. EndsFANCY BEING PART OF RTE’S EXCITING NEW SPORTS QUIZ SHOW? was last modified: July 11th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DONEGAL SPORTS PARTNERSHIPRTElast_img

Proline FC, SC Villa fixture in doubt

first_img Tags: FUFAproline fcSC VillatopUganda Premier League Proline FC are claiming that their fixture should have been postponed due to the international break. (PHOTO/Proline FC)Uganda Premier LeagueProline FC vs SC VillaStarTimes Stadium, LugogoSaturday, 07-09-2019 @4pmThe proposed match between Proline FC and SC Villa is in danger of not taking place.This was confirmed on Friday evening after Proline FC wrote to FUFA saying that they will not be honouring the fixture duo to the on-going international window.The Lugogo based side claim that with two of their players currently on duty with the national team, they do not intend to play the game.“This is to inform you officially that Proline FC will not be honouring the game vs SC Villa scheduled for Saturday as per the attached FUFA Regulations,” reads a letter from Proline FC.“It is a gazetted international week and we have no powers over our players if summoned for national duty.“Two of our players were summoned, one of them joined the national team trip at the last minute yesterday.“We believe it’s unfair for us to play when other clubs that lost players to the national team were exempted and their fixtures were postponed.”This comes after the Federation exempted both KCCA FC and Vipers SC from match-day three of the league. KCCA FC have five players on the team while Vipers SC have four.What the FUFA rules say‘If a club has at least one player in the national team, the fixture involving such a club may be called off three days before and three days after the national team engagement if it is to be played in Uganda and may be called off three days before departure and three days after return from an engagement outside Uganda.’It remains to be seen whether Proline FC will turn up for the fixture slated for Saturday afternoon at the StarTimes Stadium in Lugogo.Proline have so far had an average start to the 2019/20 season, winning one and losing the other of their first two games.Matia Lule’s side lost 3-0 against Mbarara City on match-day one before beating Onduparaka 1-0 this past Wednesday.Like Proline, SC Villa have also won one and lost the other of their first two games.Villa also lost on opening day, going down 1-0 away to Kyetume before defeating Mbarara City 3-1 on match-day two.The other games on Saturday-Express FC vs Onduparaka FC @3PM-Police FC vs Mbarara City @4:30pm-Busoga United vs Bright Stars  @4:30pmFriday’s results-Wakiso Giants 1-0 Tooro United-URA FC 0-0 Kyetume FCComments last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *