East Branch community looks to rebuild after fire, demolition

first_imgAnd she has a message for parishioners. For Church Pastor Dora J. Odarenko, the toughest part of the last few months wasn’t the fire itself, but seeing her church reduced to rubble. “Don’t be sad because I know you’ve got a lot of memories here,” she said. “You’ve seen this church all your life, but we’re gonna build something new and it’s going to be something for all of us.” EAST BRANCH (WBNG) — This past week, the East Branch United Methodist Church was officially demolished after the structure burned down in November. She said the plan would include the new church being built on the same site as the old church and is considering the option of leaving out pews to create a more open worshiping place.center_img The pastor also hopes to add spaces like book nooks and computer areas for members of the church and the East Branch community to use. “In some ways, watching them demolish that old church was harder for me than the fire itself,” Odarenko said. “We were watching the final demolition of memories.” Odarenko said plans for a new church are currently being made, however, they have not yet received permission from their bishop to rebuild.last_img read more

Read More

Portsmouth native wins first ever Mr. Dominica Competition

first_img Share 737 Views   one comment Mr. Dominica in Magnificent Wear. Photo credit: 365MMPTwenty-six year old Nigel Peters of Portsmouth has won the first ever Mr. Dominica competition.He also won the Best Magnificent Wear and Best Interview awards defeating six other competitors.Peters said at the official launching of the competition last month that he will participate to make a “small contribution to the culture of Dominica” promising fans that he would make them proud.Shanna Robin placed second while Kester Edwards placed third and Ghandi Robin won the best beach wear award.The other competitors were Kester Edwards, Lennard Panthier and Augustus Bruno.The competition was organized by the YoungStars and the Coordinator of the show Marie Antoinette-Mora explained that this was their way of providing young males with an avenue to display their talents and make a positive contribution to culture.Photographs by 365 MMP one of the sponsors of the competition: [nggallery id =138]Photographs by Lyc’elle Registe of the competition: [nggallery id =139]Dominica Vibes News Sharing is caring! Sharecenter_img LocalNews Portsmouth native wins first ever Mr. Dominica Competition by: – February 11, 2012 Share Tweetlast_img read more

Read More

MLB All-Star Game

first_imgIf you are a regular reader of my blog, you know that I am not a big fan of All-Star games.  I will probably check the score of the game occasionally, but I know I will not spend 3-4 hours watching it.  To me, All-Star games are never what they are hyped up to be.Another reason that I do not like the MLB All-Star game is the fact that it determines the home team in the World Series.  I believe this honor should go to the team that had the best regular season record. Since I am an NL fan, maybe this year its manager will figure out that if you pitch a new pitcher every inning rather than let a couple pitchers pitch multiple innings, they might actually win an all-star game this year.  The AL has done this the last several years and earned the World Series home advantage.The game this year will be played in San Diego.  It will be interesting to see how many home runs will be hit in the Home Run Derby since the San Diego park is one of the hardest stadiums to hit home runs in during regular season games.last_img read more

Read More

Wilma G. Stallo

first_imgFriends may visit with the family on Wednesday, April 12, 2017 from 11 a.m. till 12 noon at Cook Rosenberger Funeral Home, 929 Main Street, Brookville.  Burial will follow in Maple Grove Cemetery. Wilma G. Stallo, of Brookville, was born on July 12, 1931 in Cincinnati, Ohio, the daughter of Frank and Elizabeth Sanders Tobergta.  She married Edward J. Stallo on May 2, 1952 in Arlington, Virginia and he preceded her in death on June 21, 1994.  Wilma’s life was family and enjoyed being a wife, mother and homemaker.  In her spare time she liked to garden.  On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at the age of 85, she passed away at Brookville Healthcare Center. Those surviving who will cherish Wilma’s memory include her children, Barb (Steven) Anderson, Ron (Terry) Stallo, Don (Barb) Stallo, and Frank Stallo, all of Brookville, and Nancy (Lester) Pierce of Connersville; 9 grandchildren and 20 great grandchildren.  Also surviving are three sisters, Alice (Joe) Wenneman, Edith (Dick) Block, and Annette Elliott, all of Cincinnati.  Besides her parents and husband, she was preceded in death by a son, Edward J. Stallo, Jr., sisters, June Puffert, and Martha Tobergta, and brothers, James, David and Robert Tobergta.center_img Memorial donations may be directed to a charity of choice.  To sign the online guestbook or to leave a personal condolence, please visit www.cookrosenberger.com.  The staff of Cook Rosenberger Funeral Home is honored to care for the family of Wilma Stallo.last_img read more

Read More

Messi, Neymar, Mbappe make Champions League squad of the season

first_img UEFA Champions League Squad of the Season Goalkeepers: Neuer (Bayern), Oblak (Atletico Madrid), Lopes (Lyon) Defenders: Davies (Bayern), Kimmich (Bayern), Van Dijk (Liverpool), Upamecano (RB Leipzig), Angelino (RB Leipzig), Alaba (Bayern) Midfielders: Thiago (Bayern), De Bruyne (Man City), Aouar (Lyon), Goretzka (Bayern), Sabitzer (Leipzig), Marquinhos (PSG), Gomez (Atalanta), Muller (Bayern) Forwards: Gnabry (Bayern), Lewandowski (Bayern), Mbappe (PSG), Neymar (PSG), Messi (Barcelona), Sterling (Man City) FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… Promoted ContentThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More12 Celebrities Who Almost Ruined Their Careers With One MovieWhat Is A Black Hole In Simple Terms?8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its GrowthWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?12 Iconic Actors Whose Careers Were Stunted By A Single Movie7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too MuchEver Thought Of Sleeping Next To Celebs? This Guy Will Show You6 Best 90’s Action Movies From Your ChildhoodPretty Awesome Shows That Just Got Canceled9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A Tattoo7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Bettercenter_img Serie A player – Atalanta captain, Papu Gomez is among the array of stars like Lionel Mess,Kylian Mbappe and Neymar Jr named by UEFA in the 23-man Champions League squad of the season. The list was chosen by UEFA’s Technical Observers panel and naturally focused more on the teams that made it to the Final Eight tournament in Portugal. Despite making the same number of appearances – eight – and scoring more goals (four to three), Cristiano Ronaldo of Juventus was left out in favour of Barcelona’s Lionel Messi. read also:Messi tells Guardiola: I need to join Man City The only Serie A representative was Atalanta captain Alejandro ‘Papu’ Gomez, who made nine appearances in the tournament on their way to the quarter-final. Bayern Munich won the trophy, beating PSG in the Final.Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More

Villas-Boas laments penalty decision

first_img Arsenal’s 1-0 victory over Newcastle meant Tottenham had to settle for a fifth-place finish despite their own 1-0 win over Sunderland, which came courtesy of Bale’s wonder-strike. Had Marriner awarded Villas-Boas’ team a penalty in the first half when Bale collided with Sebastian Larsson, the Portuguese insists it could have been Spurs who finished fourth. Villas-Boas thinks had Spurs taken a first-half lead from the spot, that would have applied too much pressure on to Arsenal, who did not score until the 50th minute. “I don’t want to put the spotlight on the referee, but I think it (was) absolutely decisive,” the Tottenham manager said. “Apart from the distance that separates the grounds, the emotions are felt very strongly. It would have certainly been felt at Newcastle, and it would certainly change the running of this game too. Sunderland would have to be more adventurous, and so there would be more space.” Villas-Boas has repeatedly defended Bale this season amid accusations that he dives, and he thinks Marriner got the decision to give him a fifth yellow card of the campaign for simulation wrong. “It was extremely disappointing decision in my opinion for the fact that Andre was on the conference at start of season and we spoke about Gareth’s incidents,” Villas-Boas said. “It was a poor decision. It could have potentially changed the nature of the other game too.” While Bale’s goal was worthy of earning Tottenham a place in the Champions League, the harsh reality is that the team started sowing the seeds of their own downfall a long time ago. On March 3 after Spurs won the derby at White Hart Lane, the Gunners went unbeaten until the end of the season while Tottenham dropped points in five matches. Despite his troubles, the 35-year-old Villas-Boas ended the season with 72 points – more than Spurs have ever accumulated since the Premier League began. “It’s very, very unusual that we didn’t make it,” the former Chelsea manager said. “If you look at past seasons with that number of points you would normally achieve it. It’s difficult for me. Obviously we would ideally have achieved that fourth spot, we certainly did enough to deserve it, but we didn’t in the end.” With Chelsea and both Manchester clubs expected to spend big this summer, Villas-Boas reiterated his desire to bring in new players for next year’s tilt at the top four. Villas-Boas also repeated his stance that Bale would stay despite interest from Real Madrid. “That’s the information we have,” he said. Andre Villas-Boas thinks Tottenham may have succeeded in their final day push for Champions League football had referee Andre Marriner awarded Gareth Bale a penalty – rather than book him for diving.center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More

India won’t be able to replicate Wagner’s bounce, says Australia’s Wade

first_imgMELBOURNE, Australia (Reuters) – Australia batsman Matthew Wade expects India’s pacemen to make use of the short ball when India tour Down Under, but says none will be as effective as New Zealand’s Neil Wagner with the bouncer.Wade was left battered and bruised after short-pitched assaults by Wagner when New Zealand toured in the last home summer and paid tribute to the fiery left-armer.“I don’t think anyone in the game has bowled bouncers the way he bowled and been so consistent, and not gotten scored off while also picking up wickets,” Wade told Cricket Australia’s website (cricket.com.au).“I think we’ll see it a bit (from India) but I don’t think it will be as effective as Wagner. He’s done it for a long time now. “To be honest, I’ve never faced a bowler who is so accurate at bowling bouncers.”Though Wagner made his mark with 17 wickets, including multiple dismissals of Australia’s best batsmen Steve Smith, David Warner and Marnus Labuschagne, Tim Paine’s side dominated the Black Caps to claim the Test series 3-0.India were more successful in the previous summer, becoming the first Asian team to win a Test series in Australia with a 2-1 result.Australia were without Smith and Warner for that series, who were serving suspensions for ball-tampering.However, India’s pace attack of Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami and Ishant Sharma bowled superbly throughout the series and humbled the hosts’ vaunted trio of Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood on their own pitches. Wade said Wagner’s angles and accuracy would nonetheless be hard for India’s quicks to reproduce.“He’s always between your shoulder and the top of your (helmet) peak, or in your armpits,” said Wade.“They barely had anyone in front of the wicket. They had really cagey fields, catchers in good places, they were trying to take wickets all the time, it wasn’t negative bowling.“Hats off to him, he bowled unbelievably well.” Australia meet India in a four-Test series starting in Brisbane on December 3.last_img read more

Read More