Shooting attack on TV station director in Baghlan

first_img March 11, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Protecting journalists Armed conflictsViolence AfghanistanAsia – Pacific Protecting journalists Armed conflictsViolence Gunmen opened fire on Jahesh’s car as he was leaving his office to go home in the late afternoon. Jahesh sustained minor injuries but his bodyguard, Amanollah Haghyar, was killed instantly.Baghlan province police spokesman Zabihollah Shoja said the police were investigating the shooting. No suspect has so far been arrested.Jahesh is well known for his journalistic and business activities in northern Afghanistan. He has been threatened several times by both the Taliban and local politicians.“We call on the Afghan government to conduct a thorough investigation into this deadly attack in order to identify the perpetrators and instigators as quickly as possible,” said Reza Moini, the head of RSF’s Iran-Afghanistan desk.“At a time when national security officials are voicing concern about an increase in violence and terrorist attacks in Afghanistan, it is essential that protecting journalists should become everyone’s priority”Afghanistan is ranked 120th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index. October 13, 2017 Shooting attack on TV station director in Baghlan News to go further Reporters Without Borders (RSF) firmly condemns yesterday’s shooting attack on Shir Mohammad Jahesh, the director of local TV channel TV Tanvir, in the city of Baghlan in northern Afghanistan. News June 2, 2021 Find out more May 3, 2021 Find out more News RSF asks International Criminal Court to investigate murders of journalists in Afghanistan Follow the news on Afghanistan Receive email alerts Afghanistan : “No just and lasting peace in Afghanistan without guarantees for press freedom” Situation getting more critical for Afghan women journalists, report says News Organisation RSF_en last_img read more

Read More

ESA to host zero waste tailgate Saturday

first_imgThis weekend, the Environmental Student Assembly aims to host a tailgate with zero leftover waste for the first time ever.The tailgate will be set up on the Social Sciences building lawn near McCarthy Quad.The event will take place before the Homecoming game against Colorado.Red to green · Red Solo cups litter the ground at a tailgate for the Washington State game last year. ESA aims to reduce such waste. – Ralf Cheung | Daily TrojanShawn Rhoads, director of the Environmental Student Assembly, said that the event is to promote the Zero Waste Certification program that is part of the Office of Sustainability.“A number of organizations, departments or people that want to make their tailgate zero waste certified go through the Office of Sustainability, and we want to show people that this is a thing,” Rhoads said.The Office of Sustainability’s program, Tailgate Waste Diversion, was launched in fall 2012 and aims to teach tailgaters ways to make their pre-game activities more sustainable.Rhoads said that at an event that is certified, there is zero waste — everything is recycled or composted, and there are no single-use items.“It’s very similar to ESA’s certification program, and when we created that program, we used a couple of things that the Tailgate Waste Diversion program addresses,” he said. “We want students to have the option to be sustainable.”The ESA tailgate will allow students to have the option to recycle their plastic Solo cups. Students can collect Solo cups from their tailgates and hand them over to volunteers at the ESA tailgate in exchange for free game day-related items. There will be different tiers of prizes, each corresponding to a number of cups recycled. The Office of Sustainability will recycle the cups following the game.The tailgate will also include a blender bike that ESA will use to make smoothies. ESA hopes that the incentive will be enough for students who are tailgating to be environmentally aware and recycle. Kyleen Marcella, co-assistant director of ESA, said that Solo cups are the largest part of the waste generated on game days.“It’s important to be conscious of how many Solo cups are wasted,” Marcella said. “If you’re using a Solo cup, try not to throw it away and reuse it instead. When people are planning their tailgate, they should be conscious of that.”Marcella also stated that ESA wants the zero waste tailgate to quickly become a regular event on game days.“Since this is ESA’s first fall semester, we’re only doing one tailgate. We want to see how successful this event will be, but eventually, yes, we want it to be a regular event.”Arnav Garg, a sophomore majoring in computer science, was unsure if the event would be successful on a larger scale, however.“There are so many tailgates all around campus, and I don’t think that people will be willing to walk over to the ESA tailgate with their Solo cup stacks,” Garg said. “When you’re tailgating and having fun, you’re not really inclined to make the effort.”Others were more optimistic. Sandy Nguyen, a junior majoring in business administration, thought it was a great plan.“I definitely think it’s a good idea because it would reduce the waste left behind after all the tailgating, and obviously it’s helping the environment,” she said. “If they get the word out more, and people know more about it, it will be more successful.”last_img read more

Read More

Europa League: Kamada double for Frankfurt beats Arsenal 2-1

first_imgThe pressure on Arsenal manager Unai Emery intensified as Daichi Kamada’s brilliant double earned Eintracht Frankfurt victory at the Emirates Stadium.The Gunners boss came into this Europa League match having failed to lead his team to victory in their previous six outings, and this latest defeat means this is their longest winless run since February 1992.At full-time the Spaniard appeared to make a gesture to the sparse home support as they jeered him, with some holding ‘Emery Out’ posters having watched their side surrender control against a team who were a clear second best in the first period.However, Arsenal will seal qualification for the last 32 if they avoid a heavy defeat at Standard Liege in their final Group F game.It looked like the Gunners had turned the corner after they dominated the opening period. Eintracht spent most of it trying to keep Arsenal’s attack at bay until Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang made the breakthrough with a strike just before half-time.The Bundesliga side only managed one shot on goal in the first half, but were transformed after the break and equalised when Kamada curled in a fierce effort from the edge of the box.The 23-year-old Japan international then put his side in front with another sweet strike from the edge of the area.The contest also marked the return of Granit Xhaka to the Arsenal XI. The Swiss midfielder had missed the Gunners’ past five matches after his infamous substitution in the 2-2 draw against Crystal Palace at the end of October, when he angrily gestured to supporters.The 27-year-old appeared to pick up a knock to the knee in the first half but following treatment played the full 90 minutes. Source: BBClast_img read more

Read More

Blatter urges NFF to keep Falconets together

first_imgFIFA President, Joseph Sepp Blatter, has urged the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to strive to keep the bulk of the U-20 women national team, the Falconets, which finished fourth at the U-20 Women’s World Cup finals in Japan together and form the next Super Falcons from that.Though they ended up with the wooden spoon among the four semi-finalists after a splendid run that saw them win three matches and draw one, Blatter said the Falconets played with purpose, vision and invention and should be encouraged.“Your girls are very good players. Their creativity and strength bring a lot to the tournament, and it would be good to keep them together so they can take the steps to the next grade,” Blatter told NFF executive committee member and leader of delegation, Effiong Johnson, as the two sat alongside other dignitaries in the presidential box during weekend’s finale in Tokyo.Runners-up in the last edition in Germany two years ago, the Gloria Ofoegbu-led Falconets appeared to have lost their bite after edging out Mexico 1-0 in a grueling quarter-final that went into extra time. A 0-2 loss to the eventual champions, United States, in the semi-finals was followed by 1-2 loss to hosts, Japan, in the third place game over the weekend.However, Blatter insisted that the girls were not disgraced and that their battling effort against the host nation, especially in the second half, underscored tenacity and courage in front of a near full house rooting for the opponents.“Don’t be discouraged. You showed strength of character and capacity. You are a great credit to the women’s game,” Blatter told the Nigerian girls as he stood to applaud them in the stands after the medal-presentation ceremony at the Tokyo National Stadium. The Falconets delegation to the finals departed Tokyo last night aboard Emirates Airline to connect from Dubai to Lagos this morning.last_img read more

Read More

Maxell nips Allen for bragging rights at Ted Allen’s Jewellery Low Net tournament

first_imgLorna Maxwell covered the Granite Pointe at Nelson course in a net 61 to capture the top prize at the Ted Allen’s Jewellery tournament Tuesday at the Rosemont track.Maxwell edged out Becky Allen for the title. Allen finished with a score of net 70, two strokes in front of Cathie McLaren. Joan Jordan finished fourth ahead of Maria Dimopoulos. Both finished with scores of 73 with Jordan winning in retrogression.Edna Mierau was next at 74.last_img

Read More

South Africa’s new mining charter

first_imgThe launch of the new charter comes after an assessment of the former charter showed that certain targets had not been met. Under the new charter, companies found not complying could face penalties which could include the revoking of a mining company’s licence. Penalties for non-compliance South Africa has launched a new charter to facilitate the sustainable transformation and development of its mining industry, with emphasis on a target of 26% black ownership of the country’s mining assets by 2014. Mineral Resources Minister Susan Shabangu said her department had concluded an assessment of the progress of the industry’s transformation against the Mining Charter objectives as adopted in 2002. The South African Mining Development Association and the National Union of Mineworkers have welcomed the new Mining Charter, saying that non-compliance would be dealt with. Source: BuaNews The racial ownership pattern of the country’s mining assets has remained largely unchanged, with only 8.9% black ownership attained by 2009 against the target of 15%. The reviewed Mining Charter seeks to correct this, putting emphasis on 26% of SA’s mining assets being black economic empowerment (BEE) compliant by 2014.center_img Racial management, ownership pattern Shabangu said the reviewed Mining Charter represented collaborative work among stakeholders under the auspices of Mining Industry Growth, Development and Employment Task Team. 14 September 2010 It also makes provision for the complete elimination of hostels on South Africa’s mines by 2014, and introduces a sustainable element, premised on the understanding that the social licence to operate includes the environment, health and safety performance. According to the assessment, white men and women continue to dominate top management and technical positions in South Africa’s mining industry, earning much more than their black counterparts, regardless of skill and experience. “The observations are that growth in the mining industry has left much to be desired and transformation within the sector has been disappointingly slow,” she said. Also as part of transforming the industry, the department has placed a six-month moratorium on all new applications for prospecting mining licences. The moratorium, which took effect from 1 September, will allow the department to review gaps and inefficiencies in the administrative process.last_img read more

Read More

PSL says Soltones fine sticks; PVL calls decision ‘absurd’

first_imgView comments Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Read Next Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH LATEST STORIES QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd PLAY LIST 02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Nguyen ready for jeers as he fights hometown hero Folayangcenter_img CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ “I don’t see anything wrong with what Gretchel did. In fact she should be commended for helping in this fund-raising event by her participation,” said Ricky Palou, president of Sports Vision, which organizes the PVL.“The suspension and hefty fine on Soltones by the PSL officials is absurd and totally uncalled for,” Palou said in a statement. “In the first place, Soltones has no contract with the PSL. She is only on loan to the team of Iriga as her mother league is the PVL.”Palou added that the PVL All Star was scheduled at the start of the 2017 season, before Soltones agreed to play on loan for Team Iriga.Team Iriga could not vote during the deliberation.ADVERTISEMENT PSL representatives voted 7-0, upholding the league’s decision to ban and fine Soltones.Team Iriga, however, does not have a contract yet with Soltones, to the dismay of league officials who have imposed a rule on all teams to sign their players to a minimum of one year with a one-league rider in the contract, meaning players are not allowed to play outside of the PSL while they are under contract with their respective teams.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutMinus the contract, it isn’t clear if Soltones herself would pay the fine or how the PSL plans to extract the sanction from the San Sebastian star.Soltones saw action in a one-game affair dubbed the PVL All-Star Game. The charity match was held to raise funds for the benefit of HERO Foundation. Philippine Superliga team owners unanimously voted to deny the appeal by Team Iriga to reconsider Grethcel Soltones’ one-year ban and P50,000 fine as penalties for playing in an unsanctioned match outside of the league.The decision was branded “absurd” by the Premier Volleyball League, where Soltones plays, saying the power-hitting star merely did her part to raise funds for a foundation established to raise scholarship funds for children of soldiers who gave up their lives in the line of duty.ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Read More

10 months agoREVEALED: Why Klopp and Liverpool passed on Pulisic

first_imgREVEALED: Why Klopp and Liverpool passed on Pulisicby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp chose to pass on signing Christian Pulisic due to the form of Xherdan Shaqiri.Chelsea have signed the Borussia Dortmund winger for £58m in the last 24 hours.And the Liverpool Echo says the reality is that Liverpool haven’t seriously considered a move for Pulisic since they bought Shaqiri for £12.5million last summer.The Swiss attacker was the Pulisic alternative and he was snapped up at an absolute bargain price. Shaqiri has proved to be a massive hit at Anfield. The 27-year-old has only started 11 matches for the Reds but has already chipped in with six goals, including a match-winning double against Manchester United.Pulisic is still more potential than proven quality having scored 15 goals in 115 games for Dortmund. He has only netted three times in 18 club appearances so far this term.The size of the fee was also prohibitive. Liverpool wouldn’t buy a squad player for £58million and they certainly wouldn’t pay that for a squad player who had less than 18 months remaining on his contract. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Read More

A quick look at the history of the Toronto Blue Jays and

first_imgTORONTO – A look at the ownership history of the Toronto Blue Jays and the domed stadium the team calls home.Origins: The Blue Jays were created in 1976 for a 1977 expansion of the American League. Original owners included Labatt Breweries — then an independent Canadian beer company — and CIBC. The bank owned 10 per cent until 2000.First game: April 7, 1977, against the Chicago White Sox, at Exhibition Stadium in Toronto.Second home: The Blue Jays played their last game at Exhibition Stadium on May 28, 1989, and first game at SkyDome on June 5 of same year. SkyDome cost an estimated $570 million to build, between October 1986 and May 1989.Beyond beer: Rogers Communications bought an 80 per cent stake in Blue Jays in 1995 for US$112 million. Interbrew retained a 20 per cent stake until 2004, when Rogers bought the rest to become full owner of the team.Rogers Centre: Rogers bought the SkyDome in 2004 for about $25 million, excluding an attached hotel that was sold separately to another buyer. The stadium was renamed Rogers Centre in 2005.Recent estimates: According to a 2017 estimate by Forbes, the Blue Jays franchise is worth about $1.65 billion. Canaccord Genuity estimates Rogers Centre is worth between $200 milion and $400 million.last_img read more

Read More