Local area paleontologist looking for financial support amid dinosaur track discovery

first_imgRich McRae is curator of paleontology at the Tumbler Ridge Peace Region Paleontology Research Centre and is trying to raise corporate interest in supporting an additional tourist attraction behind the WAC Bennett Dam – south of the Williston Lake reservoir.Earlier this month he put his idea before Fort St. John City Council and he’ll back in this area next month to meet with the District of Taylor Council on May 19th and the Peace River Regional District in Fort St. John the following week on the 28th.“What we’re trying to do is get the equipment, mainly,” explains McRae. “This is a project that’s quite [far] from our home-base and there’s equipment that we’re lacking…the funding that we’re looking for is to get basic equipment because we’re going to have quite a few volunteers and researchers on the site.”- Advertisement -He says the centre is looking for about $175,000 to complete this year’s work.“If we’re lucky with our funding campaign, it’ll give us the capacity to actually act as a more regional museum.”The dinosaur tracks at Williston Lake were found in the late 1970s and unlike other tracks, discovered about 50 years earlier in the Peace River Canyon, they are not underwater and are well removed from any flooding associated with Site C dam construction.Advertisement Following the first phase of the development, the idea is to put up a structure to help conserve the site, which Mr. McRae says is close enough to the Alaska Highway that it could easily become an another Peace Region tourist attraction.The 1,000 square meter site would be the third one in this area for dinosaur enthusiasts, along with the Tumbler Ridge Global Geopark and the Philip J. Currie Dinosaur Museum, expected to open this fall at Wembley between Beaverlodge and Grande Prairie.last_img read more

Read More

SENTENCE ADJOURNED IN ARRANMORE MANSLAUGHTER CASE

first_imgA man who killed a teenager in a bar on a remote island off the Donegal coast has had his sentence hearing adjourned for over two weeks.Last month a Central Criminal Court jury found Stephen Boyle (aged 41) not guilty of the murder but guilty of the manslaughter of Paul Boyle (aged 19) at Early’s Bar, Leabgarrow, Arranmore on October 3, 2009. Stephen Boyle, of Austen House, Cambridge Road, Kilburn Park in London had denied murder but had pleaded guilty to manslaughter.The court heard that the father-of-one stabbed Paul Boyle in the neck with a glass after a row involving a number of people at around 2.30am on the night in question.Paul Boyle, who had celebrated his 19th birthday just three weeks earlier, was brought to the mainland by lifeboat but he died in Letterkenny Hospital at 10.20am on October 3.Prosecution counsel Mr Paul O’ Higgins SC told the court that Arranmore has a population of 522 people and the killing had caused “immense shock and sadness on the island”.During the trial, assistant State Pathologist Dr Khalid Jabbar told the jury that Paul Boyle died from associated blood loss and trauma caused by sharp force trauma.Dr Jabbar told the court there was trauma to the left side of the neck, which was caused by sharp force trauma, and that Paul Boyle lost 60% of his blood.Counsel for the defendant, Mr Michael O’Higgins SC, this morning asked the court to defer imposing sentence to allow for the compilation of an updated psychiatric report.A victim impact statement by members of Paul Boyle’s family was handed in to the court but was not read in to evidence.Mr Justice Patrick McCarthy remanded Stephen Boyle in custody and said he would adjourn the hearing until March 29 next.SENTENCE ADJOURNED IN ARRANMORE MANSLAUGHTER CASE was last modified: March 12th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:SENTENCE ADJOURNED IN ARRANMORE MANSLAUGHTER CASElast_img read more

Read More

Mike Tysons Visa Cancelled New Zealand Show Off

Mike Tyson, the former heavyweight boxing champion-turned-actor, had his visa cancelled after the organization that invited him to New Zealand withdrew its support for his visit.Kate Wilkinson, the nation’s associate immigration minister, made the decision to cancel Tyson’s visa after it had been issued so he could fulfill a speaking engagement in September, according to the Associated Press.Wilkinson, said she overruled the decision an immigration officer had made a day earlier when the charitable group changed its mind about Tyson’s visit, ordering Tyson’s visa canceled.The charity, Life Education Trust, originally supported the trip, which Wilkinson said helped tipped the scales in Tyson’s favor to get a visa. Tyson is a convicted rapist who spent three years in prison, and who disgusted the masses by biting off a piece of Evander Holyfield’s ear, among other ignoble acts, originally was OK with Tyson coming in,  despite his hard-to-fathom past. But Wilkinson saw it differently, and called the decision to revoke Tyson a visa “a finely balanced call.”Aside from his scheduled talk to the Life Education Trust, the boxer-turned-actor had another ulterior motive to his trip to New Zealand. He was scheduled to perform his one-man show called Mike Tyson: Undisputed Truth.Tyson has actually become somewhat of a theater buff, telling The Telegraphthat his next career move would be on the stage rather than in the ring. He said he is ready to cast aside his tough public persona and instead chase another recently discovered passion..“I want to dance and sing. I want to do some dancing and singing musicals,” Tyson said during a visit to Hong Kong. Interesting for a boxer who did little dancing in the ring.In any case, the people of New Zealand will have to wait at least a little longer to meet Mike Tyson, thespian. read more

Read More

House Appropriators Advance 6902 Billion Defense Spending Bill

first_imgThe House Appropriations Committee advanced its draft $690.2 billion fiscal 2020 defense spending bill Tuesday, CQ reported.The Democrat-crafted bill includes a 2% increase over fiscal 2019 defense spending, allocating $622.1 billion to DOD’s base budget with another $68.1 billion going toward overseas contingency operations. It falls short of President Donald Trump’s fiscal 2020 defense budget request by $8 billion, or 1%.Voting on the measure tallied 30-22 and fell along party lines.The bill would also restrict DOD from reprogramming funding for southern border barrier construction and sharply reduce authority to move military construction money within appropriations accounts from $9.5 billion to $1.5 billion, as On Base has reported.It would boost the Pentagon’s F-35 fighter fleet, appropriating 90 of the fifth-generation aircraft, 12 more than the Pentagon requested.The Hill reported word of a deal on lifting fiscal 2020 spending caps could be possible as early as Tuesday night, according to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), which would raise defense spending above the House appropriators’ bill.“Without a topline budget agreement, we aren’t making spending decisions based in reality,” said House Defense Appropriations subcommittee Ranking Member Ken Calvert (R-Calif.)Army Reserve photo by Sgt. Stephanie Ramirez ADC AUTHORlast_img read more

Read More